Monday, June 6, 2022

Toshiba REGZA

 I installed  Ubuntu on my dynabook N40 and rEFInd finally allows me to boot and use it without USB. It runs more crisply than Windows and starts up faster and more comfortably. However, the screen of the dynabook N40 is small, so I decided to connect it to an external monitor. A dedicated PC monitor might of course be better, but I'm going to connect it to  a regular TV with HDMI. This is sufficient for me, as I don't play fighting games or use high-precision CAD, where the slightest delay can be a problem, and it also has the big advantage that I can watch TV when I'm not busy (:-). Incidentally, I use a 23-inch Toshiba REGZA as a monitor, which is a great thing that can do scheduled recording by simply attaching an external hard disk (or SSD, of course) to the back (as all TVs nowadays may do (:-).

When I connected the REGZA via HDMI with Ubuntu running on the Dynabook N40, it responded immediately. I remember having a lot of trouble getting Linux to recognise HDMI devices in the past, but I have a sense of awakening (:-). This time, however, I was expecting things to go smoothly, but the REGZA froze with part of the screen displayed on it (:-o). When I disconnected the HDMI cable, the dynabook N40 started working again, so it seems that it is not completely frozen. The same thing happened when I started the dynabook N40 with the HDMI cable connected.

When I started the Ubuntu live installation USB,   it was normally displayed on the REGZA. Was the installation process wrong? Or is there something missing in the procedure for converting to local language (Japanese) after installation? I will investigate further.




Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home